All testimony will be virtual. Sign up now to make sure your voice is heard.
Republicans are again planning on using racial gerrymandering to give themselves the upper edge in the 2024 election. Senator Joan Huffman, chairman of the redistricting committee, has already scheduled several hearings so that they can start planning how to rig the maps behind the scenes.
Here is the redistricting hearing schedule (click on each link to find the registration links):
Wednesday 1/25, at 1:00 pm. The focus of this hearing will be West Texas.
Thursday 1/26, at 9:00 am. A hearing about gerrymandering South Texas.
Thursday 1/26, at 1:00 am. How can Republicans screw over North Texas?
Friday 1/27, at 10:00 am. This hearing will focus on gerrymandering in Central Texas.
Friday 1/27, at 3:00 pm. Because East Texas isn’t gerrymandered enough.
Saturday 1/28, at 10:00 am. The last racial gerrymandering hearing will focus on all regions.
What do you talk about while testifying?
- The harm caused by racial gerrymandering: Racial gerrymandering dilutes the voting power of minorities and undermines their representation in government. This can lead to policies that disproportionately harm minority communities.
- The legal precedent against racial gerrymandering: The Supreme Court has repeatedly ruled that redistricting plans that intentionally discriminate on the basis of race are unconstitutional.
3. The impact of racial gerrymandering on communities of color: Studies have shown that communities of color are more likely to live in gerrymandered districts, which can lead to a lack of political representation and resources for these communities.
4. The use of racial data in redistricting: The use of racial data in redistricting can perpetuate racial stereotypes and perpetuate discrimination. It is critical to use other factors, such as socioeconomic status, in redistricting plans to ensure fair representation.
5. The importance of independent redistricting commissions: Independent redistricting commissions can help ensure that redistricting plans are created fairly and impartial, free from political influence and manipulation.
6. The importance of public input and transparency in redistricting: The public should have the opportunity to provide feedback and comment on redistricting plans, and the process should be transparent to ensure accountability and fairness.
7. The need for fair representation for all communities: Redistricting should be done in a way that ensures fair representation for all communities, regardless of race, ethnicity, or socioeconomic status.
Why is it essential to testify against racial gerrymandering?
Testifying against racial gerrymandering is necessary because it is a form of voter suppression that undermines democracy and perpetuates systemic racism. It is the manipulation of electoral district boundaries to dilute the voting power of minority communities, thus denying them equal representation.
Racial gerrymandering violates the Voting Rights Act of 1965, which prohibits discrimination in voting based on race or color. By testifying, you are bringing attention to this issue and holding elected officials accountable for their actions. Even if legislators do not listen, your testimony is a form of resistance and conveys that the community will not stand for discriminatory practices.
It is crucial to note that racial gerrymandering not only affects minority communities but also undermines fair representation for all citizens. It allows politicians to choose their voters instead of the other way around, leading to a lack of accountability and responsiveness to the community’s needs.
Testifying also serves as a way to educate and inform the public about the issue, building support for fair redistricting reform. This can lead to increased civic engagement and advocacy for change.
Testifying against racial gerrymandering is imperative in the fight for fair and just representation for all citizens, and to uphold the principles of democracy. It is a way to hold elected officials accountable and resist discriminatory practices perpetuating systemic racism.
Again, click each of the links above to sign up to testify at one of the hearings.
You can now read an ad-free version of Living Blue in Texas and help support our mission to turn Texas blue. Sign up now.
You agree to receive updates from Living Blue in Texas by clicking submit. We will not sell or share your information. Use the unsubscribe link in those emails to opt-out at any time.