Plus, he plans on expunging cannabis-related charges on people’s records.
Colorado legalized cannabis thirteen years ago. Since then, they have been a model for cannabis policies nationwide. The issue has been studied, economic and social impact reports have been published, and here’s what we know:
- Cannabis revenue outpaces alcohol revenue.
- States are collecting billions of dollars in tax revenue each year and funneling that money into education and healthcare.
- Aside from the health benefits, legalized cannabis has also drastically reduced crime rates and improved economies.
- Legalization has created thousands of new job opportunities in other states.
- Legalizing cannabis would bring racial justice to Texas since marijuana arrests have created vast racial disparities in our criminal justice system, as Black Texans are 3.7 times more likely to be arrested for cannabis than their white counterparts.
- By legalizing cannabis, Texans would see a drop in their property taxes, which we need now more than ever.
Economic forecasts have shown that Texas would earn between $1 billion – $2 billion annually in cannabis tax revenue.
Fully funded public education? ✅
Lower property taxes? ✅
Reduced criminal justice costs? ✅
Why would anyone be against this?
In every town hall Beto held, he said he would end cannabis prohibition, and the crowd screamed and cheered each time. It’s unsurprising since 72% of Democrats and 60% of all Americans support legalization.
Beto is going to save Texas.
Not only by legalizing cannabis, but with all of his policies that include fixing the grid, expanding access to healthcare, repairing our broken education system, and lowering property taxes.
Beto will improve so many people’s lives, especially by expunging cannabis-related criminal records and allowing veterans access to medical and recreational marijuana.
The last day to register to vote is October 11, 61 days from now.
The first day of early voting is October 24, 74 days from now.
And in 89 days, on November 8, Beto gets voted in as our next Governor.
You can now read an ad-free version of Living Blue in Texas and help support our mission to turn Texas blue. Sign up now.
You agree to receive updates from Living Blue in Texas by clicking submit. We will not sell or share your information. Use the unsubscribe link in those emails to opt-out at any time.